Sunday, June 5, 2011

Inspiration: Holy Spaces

This weekend I found myself at a Hindu temple with my mother-in-law for a holy day celebration. As I always do, I found many similarities between the lace draped, candle-lit altars of gods and goddesses and those of the saints in the Catholic cathedrals that I also frequent. The incense, the garlands, the fresh flowers and shimmery fabrics were so concentrated and stunning that it took my breath away. Maybe it's the unusually gloomy weather, but I've been thinking lately about how to integrate some spirituality into my crafting. I'm thinking along the lines of some kind of fabric wall-hanging shrine or altar. Dia de los Muertos isn't until November, but I always have trouble finding some free shelf space for even a small ofrenda or niche shrine.
So that is my next project--wall art, blending together the various fabrics that I have in my closet--the satin-stitched flowers on Mexican blouses and the gold and silver weave of sari borders--along with pictures and sentiments of those who have passed--a wall shrine that weaves it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment