Saturday, June 4, 2011

Some Fresh Ideas for Scrap Fabric Projects

I've spent many hours googling "scrap fabric projects" and while I've found some cool sites, I'm getting a bit tired of the usual coasters and iPod cases. I thought I would put some of my ideas out there for inspiration! So here is my list of some new ideas for putting those beautiful little scraps to good use.

* Decoupage! There are some great fabric-to-paper and fabric-to-glass glues and sealers out there, so pick some up and start decoupaging those scraps! Small boxes, glass plates, frames, votive candleholders--pretty much anything you can find in your thrift store's housewares section can be decoupaged using the last few inches of that gorgeous Amy Butler fabric that you have left over from last year's project! An example of some commercial decoupage sealer great for using with fabrics.

* Add Ruffles! I absolutely adore ruffles, especially random-colored ruffles on dishtowels, aprons, dresses, anything! It doesn't take much, and you can ruffle through your scrap pile in no time! I recently found this blog, which features a  cute-as-hell ruffled flour sack towel!

* Cover a lampshade. Years ago I had a small nightlight in the shape of a lampshade. It was plain white, so I bought a remnant of some pretty white and ecru paisley fabric and glued it to the lampshade. Now, every time I turn on my bathroom nightlight, I see delicate illuminated swirls and paisley shapes. It still makes me happy after all these years!


 
* Cover buttons and bangles! Perfect for those micro-scraps that you kept for some crazy reason.

* Scented hot pads/trivot. Sew your scraps into a quilt square shape, pad with some batting and lavender or rosemary, place your cup of hot tea on it, and inhale! You have a scented hot pad or small coaster. If you have a good amount of lavender or other herbs and spices, you can stitch up a simple sachet. Great in a guest bedroom or as a little hostess gift!




So there you have it. A few of my ideas from over the years. Do you have any to add? Suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment